-----gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org skrev: -----

Till: meg ford <meg387 gmail com>
Från: Cesar Mauri <cesar crea-si com>
Sänt av: gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org
Datum: 2011-10-14 14:38
Kopia: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org
Ärende: Re: Montreal Summit

Hi Meg,

El 13/10/2011 1:56, meg ford escribió:
        Thinking in people with language and communication disorders
>         (i.e. people not able to read/write due to cognitive/mental
>         disorders), it would be interesting to have a IM client able to
>         compose, send and display messages made up pictograms + text.
>         So, messages would look like this:
>
>         http://1.bp.blogspot.com/___h4z60kN9fAk/TBnOIM61kUI/__AAAAAAAAAQ8/TM0fBXcTvyA/s1600/__cumplea%C3%B1os.png
>         <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_h4z60kN9fAk/TBnOIM61kUI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/TM0fBXcTvyA/s1600/cumplea%C3%B1os.png>
>
>         Also, it would be useful to add TTS support in order to hear
>         messages written in plain text (which could be also useful for
>         blind people).
>
>         There had been some efforts in that way:
>
>         http://www.fundmaresme.com/messengervisual/
>

>     I will bring this up with the IM developers when they meet, and tell
>     them that it was your suggestion. It sounds like a very promising
>     idea to me, and if there is interest, I will be willing to help with
>     it, as well. It could also be a useful tool for Sugar to have, so
>     that children who are learning to read could communicate easily.
>

>         but unfortunately only designed to work on an intranet and now
>         abandoned :-(
>
>         Furthermore, am I the author of a11y projects. If you have
>         interest I would provide further details.
>

>     Certainly! I will contact you and let you know what the  IM
>     developers have to say.
>
>   I spoke to one of the developers of Telepathy about this, and here is
> what he said:
>
> Currently Telepathy does not support this type of feature. For example,
> users cannot send emoticons that they have drawn themselves. Therefore,
> you would need to write a library for this. If you are willing to write
> a library, they would be happy to have this feature.
>
> Secondly, they recommend that you write a seperate app for this feature,
> but use the Empathy contact list. They recommend that the feature be
> accessed through the accessibility menu.
>
> Lastly, if you would like to discuss this, please contact the developers
> on the mailing list: telepathy lists freedesktop org
> <mailto:telepathy lists freedesktop org>.
>
> I hope that this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any
> questions, and if you do begin work on this, I will be happy to be of
> assistance if I can
>
> Sincerely,
> Meg Ford

Thanks for this feedback and for your assistance offer, but now we're
not in the position to start a new development front. Anyway I'll
contact the developers mailing list to, a least, leave the request and
ask whether the backends support this feature.

Regards,

César