Re: Improving stability in Vinux testing repo by dropping GTK+ patches

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Samuel Thibault
<samuel.thibault@ens-> That's where there is quite one of the big
differences with
> Debian: Debian _does_ test a11y before releasing. I've also been
> following a suse a11y meeting, and provided them with information to
> integrate a11y into their standard testing guideline.

Outstanding.  Brovo!  I wish we could get Ubuntu and Fedora on board.

> That being said, I am fine with vinux being based on Ubuntu, as that
> permits to get the latest (i.e. <6 months, the release period) advances
> in graphical desktop a11y, which is simply impossible in Debian (>6
> months freeze period, 18 montsh release period).

Yes, I do find Debian a difficult platform to influence quickly, and I
am quite impatient by nature.  By the way, I'm looking for a Debian
sponsor for libsonic (www.vinux-project.org/sonic).  I know Debian is
in a freeze right now, but when possible, it would be great to get
libsonic upstream into Debian.

I believe that the slow cycle in Debian as well as upstream projects
greatly slows innovation in a11y.  This is one of the main reasons,
IMO, for Vinux to exist.  In theory we have full control over
everything and can introduce a11y upgrades and push them out to users
without delay.  In reality, since we use Ubuntu binaries, there are
limits on what we can do, but we get part way there.

> But please don't FUD.

OK.  Please call me on it when I'm wrong, which can be pretty often.
I do see your name on a lot of package patches, so while I'm not in
the loop in Debian a11y, I do appreciate the work you do personally.
I'm a big fan of every a11y contributor who is making a real
difference.  Also, I tend to come across as offensive on-line to a lot
of people.  Being highly ADD, I have trouble with tact.  Feel free to
call me on that, too.

Bill