Re: Improving stability in Vinux testing repo by dropping GTK+ patches

Bill Cox, le Sun 23 Jan 2011 11:21:02 -0500, a écrit :
> He even promoted his solution up-stream to Debian, but so
> far as I can tell, his work went unnoticed.

It didn't get unnoticed. It even got commited, but too late for the
squeeze release. Anyway it will be dropped since there is no need
for any more, since speakup is now integrated in the _standard_
Debian kernel (and even in the staging part of the standard vanilla
kernel). You can say that the Debian maintainers need time to integrate
things (which is why it's stable), but don't say that we don't listen to
you or Luke.

> Ubuntu rolls out updates without any a11y testing at all,

That's where there is quite one of the big differences with
Debian: Debian _does_ test a11y before releasing. I've also been
following a suse a11y meeting, and provided them with information to
integrate a11y into their standard testing guideline.

That being said, I am fine with vinux being based on Ubuntu, as that
permits to get the latest (i.e. <6 months, the release period) advances
in graphical desktop a11y, which is simply impossible in Debian (>6
months freeze period, 18 montsh release period).

But please don't FUD.

Samuel