Re: OGG Files

RiverWind:

Have any of you tried to play files with an "ogg" extension? If so, how
is it done? Merely clicking on such files will not induce mplayer to
play them.

The OGG format is a lossy audio format with good compression.  It is
implemented as free software.

  http://www.vorbis.com/faq/#what

There is a GStreamer plugin for OGG, so if you are using a media program
that is based on GStreamer it should play.  You obviously also need the
ogg and vorbis libraries installed for the GStreamer plugin to work.
I know totem, rhythmbox and songbird (or is it called nightengale now?)
all use GStreamer.  Not sure about mplayer.  I think mplayer can be
built with OGG support, but I think it may require being configured to
be built that way.

Some media players that do not use GStreamer may also support OGG, but
your results may vary.  Also, not all hardware devices support OGG so
if you intend to use your OGG media files with a hardware music player,
then make sure it supports OGG.

Brian