Re: Travel Tips for Going to Spain

Hello,

My two cents on this:

- Yes, its much cheaper to get the money from any ATM at the airport. Usually in Spanish airports (they are all managed by same company) you can find ATMs from 3-4 different banks. There shouldn't be any problem getting the money from any of them, just it could be more expensive if your card doesn't belong to the main system of that bank.

- Shopping can be done by paying with your card. But be aware that American Express is not accepted in most shops. VISA and Mastercard are OK.

- For the city bus, if you'll take it every day you should get a bus pass because it's way cheaper. You must buy a magnetic card and charge it (I think it's done in the bus).
- The same card can be used to charge more than one passenger at a trip (and you should do this to zero in the initial cost of the card alone).
- In addition, passenger are allowed to change to another bus line when using the bus pass within 45 or 60 min of the first trip. In Seville, (most?) buses indicate the next stop on a monitor and a voice tells it loud. But you must know the name of the bus stop to take advantage of this.
- When approaching your stop, press the button or the driver could skip that stop.
Sorry, I don't live in Seville so I don't know the exact details.

- Tipping is not compulsory or even customary. Some spaniards do and many don't. Even those who do just leave a tiny amount of what they pay. I think this can have one exception. Probably tipping is expected, especially from americans, in places that are situated in the most touristic parts of the city. These places are crowded with tourists but spaniards will not eat/drink there anything.

- Probably the weather will be hot (Think of flying to L.A.), Bring t-shirts or whatever you like with you but also some sweater or jacket for those moments when could get cooler (early in the morning/late in the evening). Anyway just in case you won't be lucky with the weather, double-check the forecast before departing.

2010/9/24 Juanje Ojeda <jojeda emergya es>
2010/9/24 Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com>:
> On Fri, 2010-09-24 at 13:03 -0600, Stormy Peters wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com>
> wrote:
>
>  The best thing
> to do is leave your cash home and go straight to an ATM machine.
> Withdraw cash like you do back home.
>
> I travel a lot and this is what I always do. I've only had trouble once.
>
> Note that I usually carry some US dollars as a backup. There's always some
> place to change cash at the airport in case the ATM machine there doesn't
> work with your card for some reason. Then you can find a more friendly ATM
> machine later.
>
> I haven't been to Seville but in general in Spain public transportation is
> really good and you don't need to rely on more expensive taxis. I'd be
> surprised if there wasn't a bus from the airport to the city.
>
> Stormy
>
> That's a good point.  Best guestimate I heard for cab from SVQ airport to
> hotel is 20 Euros.  But if someone can post alternative solutions, bus route
> # , where to get off, etc.  That'd be great.

That's right the cab from the Airport to any place of the city is around 20 €:
http://www.taxisevilla.com/tarifas-taxi-sevilla.html#tarifa_aeropuerto

>From the Airport to the city center there is a special bus which cost
is 2,30 € one way. But you'll need to get at the last stop another bus
to the hotel (to the Hotel Tryp Macarena). The bus is either the C3 or
the C4. They are circular. The ticket cost 1,20 €.
More info here:
http://www.tussam.es/index.php?id=3

--
Juanje Ojeda Croissier
Responsable de Comunidad

Emergya Consultoría
Tfno: +34 954 51 75 77 / +34 672 16 74 09
Fax: +34 954 51 64 73
www.emergya.es