Re: Caribou: suggestion of some features

From: Jiro Matsuzawa <matsuzawa jr gmail com>

> I'm a Caribou user in Japan. I want to contribute to development of Caribou.

Hi, thanks for your interest.

> I'm inconvenienced when using Caribou. The window of a keyboard cannot be moved.
> It hides widgets under the keyboard from sight.  It interferes with
> reading texts
> and clicking widgets such as buttons and menu-items.
>
> So, I'm going to suggest adding the following functions to Caribou.
>
> 1: Make the keyboard window movable by drag
>    -> This allows users to control the location of Caribou.

Hmm, I agree that it would be good to provide a way to move it, but
not sure about drag, as this would mean that the user would require to
move it constantly. Probably it would worth to investigate the option
to implement a window-placement-policy (just below the entry, on a
corner of the screen, etc.) and a easy way to configure it. Well, and
probably also allow the drag, as automatic policies usually doesn't
works 100% of the time.

> 2: Make it possible to specify user's preference on transparency of
> the background of
>    keyboard window
>    -> This allows users to read texts and view images under Caribou.

I think that Eitan make some attempts to do that, so probably he has a
work-in-progress branch on his local machine. As far as I remember,
this is one of the reasons to have a clutter dependency on Caribou.

> I think these functions should improve the usability of Caribou.
> How about my suggestion?
> Please advise me if these functions do not match specifications of Caribou.

I personally agree that both are interesting. My advice is create two
new bugs on GNOME bugzilla. I skimmed the current list of Caribou bugs
[1] and I didn't see your suggestions. I think that it is worth to
open two new bugs.

BR

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=caribou&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

===