Re: [Usability] GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

Li and I had talked about this in Ireland last April. I remember from the conversation that dynamically loading the a11y modules after an application has already started was probably OK, but that unloading them while the app was still running would cause them to crash. Li - is this still not the case? In addition, Li will the mechanism for the GTK+ application to register the application also get called appropriately if the modules are loaded after the application has been initialized? I thought I remember us discussion some potential issue with this as well.

The thing I think we care about the most is preventing the need to log out and log back in to enable accessibility for applications on the desktop. Preventing a crash when a11y is disabled would also be necessary -- if disabling the dynamic unloading is the way to do that, then I think it would be acceptable to say that you need to log out and log back in for the disabling of a11y to take effect.

In addition, I don't remember there actually being a mechanism in place to signal that a running GTK+ application should load new modules when the /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility key changes. Bastien - I've never fully grok'ed the underlying mechanisms that trigger the XSETTINGS changes to occur. Does g-s-d do this, and does GTK+ react when the property changes?

Will