Re: [Usability] GTK+ at the UX Hackfest

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 12:22 +0800, Li Yuan wrote:
> Mathias made the patch
> (http://bugzilla-attachments.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=118981 ) to
> make at-spi support XSettings.
>
> >From a11y side, gail and atk-bridge/atk-adaptor, as GTK+ modules, should
> be able to be loaded at any time. If there is no registry daemon
> running, for CORBA version, at-spi-registryd will be started through
> Bonobo activation (atk-bridge does this job); for D-Bus version,
> at-spi2-registryd should be started through D-Bus activation
> (atk-adaptor does this job).
>
> There are also gnome_accessibility_module_shutdown functions for these
> A11Y modules. Maybe we need a unified way to shutdown GTK+ modules.

Right, it seems the discussion we had with Willie was with outdated or
incorrect data, so let's step back and look at the original problem
again.

We'd like to be able to enable/disable a11y in applications without a
session restart, and, if possible, when deactivated, that the modules
are unloaded and all a11y related functionality is torn down.

The goal is to make it easier for developers that do not need a11y to
test their applications with things like screen readers and other a11y
helpers.

What is missing for this to work? Can we remove the "you need to restart
your session" from the a11y capplet in the control-center?

Cheers