From: Peter Korn <peter korn oracle com>
To: Alan Coopersmith <alan coopersmith oracle com>
Cc: OpenSolaris X Window System List <xwin-discuss opensolaris org>,
gnome-accessibility-list gnome org,
accessibility-discuss opensolaris org
Subject: Re: [accessibility-discuss] Accessibility helpers &
Xinput2/Xevie/Xorg
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:58:27 -0700

Alan,

I'm cc-ing the GNOME Accessibility list, where folks who are interested
in this live.

The GNOME On-screen Keyboard is being replaced with Caribou (see
http://live.gnome.org/Caribou).  There remains a need for a way for
alternate input devices (which electrically look like mice, and which
present the USB mouse HID) to connect to a UNIX desktop and drive
accessibility software like Caribou.  Various workarounds (e.g. moving
the mouse to the upper left corner - assuming the keyboard lives there)
make this non-critical, but still important.

I don't know enough about Xi2 to say whether that meets all needs or
not.  Perhaps the Caribou maintainer might comment.  One concern though
is whether Xi2 is a good path forward for thin clients like Sun Ray, or
whether we need to use something like libusb for that.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Principal,
Oracle