Vbf:Ang: [GOK] plan for GNOME 3.0 - please comment

Hi all,

I just got aware that the message below was by mistake only sent to Ben and not to the list, as intended. Here it comes a bit delayed ...

Mats

-----Vidarebefordrat av Mats Lundälv/vgregion 2009-10-12 02:31 -----

Till: Ben Konrath <ben konrath utoronto ca>
Från: Mats Lundälv/vgregion
Datum: 2009-10-06 03:31
Ärende: Ang: [GOK] plan for GNOME 3.0 - please comment

Hi Ben and all,

It's great to see the activity and plans building up in this area!

Sorry for not being faster to respond (since my post and your reply in the oatsoft oats-sig list)!

It's obvious that there is a deep consensus about going for the Python platform for this project in the Gnome environment. (I suggested Java as an possible alternative, possibly opening for better cross-platform aspects for this kind of an app.) But that's fine then.

Without having deep insight I'd flag for keeping the timing accuracy issue in mind. For a high class switch input application, very quick response and accurate and reliable timing is very essential. It should in fact ideally be the absolute priority thread of the whole system. Is there a reason for concerns here?

(To get a feeling of state-of-the-art performance in terms of control and timing we should look at AssistiveWare's OSK software for the Mac OS X – SwtchXS – take a look at some of the video clips at http://www.assistiveware.com/switchaccess.php !)

I basically think your analysis and draft plan looks very reasonable – with the following remarks:

It's fine to start with the focus on switch input users – as long as the basic design allows for adding high class direct access input later, not forgetting that there is a great need for advanced configurable functionality in that area too – for head-mouse and eye-gaze users with greatly varying pointing, timing and visual perception preconditions etc.
Very good to have Nomon and Dasher integration in the pipeline!

It's fine to start with a limited set of layout options – as long as the basic design allows for adding options for advanced, wide-ranging and user-friendly layout configurability later (without starting from scratch).

It's fine to start with letter-based input and word prediction – as long as:

a) we design for full multilingual support – that is NOT the English a-z alphabet only – from the start!

b) the basic design allows added good support for both graphic symbols (image formats) and text later on – but ideally from the start (also think Asian multi-layered characters/words – perhaps Ruby Annotation support etc )

It's fine to start with the limited set of switch input/navigation methods you suggest – as long as the design is prepared for smooth later addition of more methods, where 2 switch user-scan (as described in the ACE doc) is one obvious, but also later “directed scan” (joystick/4-5switch), quadrant keyboard and a set of direct selection options may line up.

The switch options should include support for the standard USB Game interface from the start.

I've got a lot on my mind about the principal design issues, but will have to come back to that in due time. Just some initial thought about two major points:

Navigation/selection:
- Pay much attention to designing a highly efficient and reliable “Focus Navigation” protocol.
- Apart from real time accuracy etc., think freely there; e.g. leave the door open for the possibility of (later) allowing more than one focus navigation and selection thread if possible.

Layout:
- One (and in principle more) OSK canvas(es) – ideally with (later) possibility of adjustable transparency and to add background image

- principally design for allowing configurable layout with, and navigation between and within, both single and compound selection components (buttons and button grids).

- the first implementation being an OSK canvas with just one compound selection grid component (or possibly two, where the word prediction is presented in the second one)

- the selection button grid I envisage similar to a table component (in an office application) – possibly built on some existing one – where a regular grid with a certain number of rows and columns is set up – then the width of columns and hight of rows may be adjusted, cells may be joined, grouping options may be added etc.  – with a limited set of built-in focus navigation schemes (that may later be expanded). (I remember a button grid component like that in the good old NextStep development environment – is there something like that floating around in the Python universe ;-)

Cheers,

Mats