Re: Carrying over ATs from GDM to GNOME session (brainstorm)

Hello all,

Speaking solely as a blind user, I think this issue is being looked at
the wrong way.

The thought is: "A user shouldn't have to configure accessibility in GDM
and then again in the Desktop".

But the thought should be: "why does the user need to configure
accessibility (in the Desktop) if he already exists in the system?"

Accessibility is a requirement of the user, so it should be enabled when
the user is created in the system, just like enabling  the mounting of
the cd-rom drive, choosing the terminal shell  or allowing sudoing to
root.

This doesn't seem very complex to implement, but I don't know of any
Gnome setup that does it, and so we end up with accessibility being
configured twice when the user logs for the first time or soon after.

This makes even more sense if you consider "roaming profiles", be it in
a campus/corporate setup or the cloud.

AFAIK this doesn't exist in Gnome yet, but gconf at least already
supports LDAP and DB backends, and I think there are already some
experiences with roaming profiles.

For GDM accessibility, the proposed keyboard shortcuts/gestures would
solve the problem.

Just my 0.02€
André