Re: ANNOUNCE: Java ATK Wrapper 0.27.2

Hi Joanie:

The instructions are similar to the Java Access Bridge for GNOME, but easier. Since the Java ATK Wrapper is not using Java/CORBA, we don't need the ~/.orbitrc nonsense. But, we still need to set up the accessibility.properties and java-atk-wrapper.jar files.

On OpenSolaris, what you can do is build/install the wrapper with the following options sent to ./autogen.sh:

 --prefix=/usr --with-java-home=/usr/java

After you install, in /usr/java/jre/lib, make a symbolic link to /usr/share/jar/accessibility.properties and in /usr/java/jre/lib/ext, make a symbolic link to /usr/share/jar/java-atk-wrapper.jar.

NOTE TO EVERYONE, especially Orca users: this is a work in progress. More work is needed in the wrapper and scripting is likely to be needed in Orca. However, my early tests seem to indicate that dumping the Java/CORBA implementation in favor of a direct JNI layer to ATK seems to yield more reliability and better performance. Way to go, Ke!

Will

Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
Hi Ke.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you please post instructions
for properly installing the Java ATK Wrapper in OpenSolaris 2009.06
because I'm obviously missing something:

$ jcontrol
Exception in thread "main" java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not
found: org.GNOME.Accessibility.AtkWrapper
     at java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:773)
     at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:859)
     at java.awt.Window.getToolkit(Window.java:1167)
     at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:394)
     at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:432)
     at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:403)
     at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:368)
     at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:163)
     at com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel.<init>(ControlPanel.java:43)
     at com.sun.deploy.panel.ControlPanel.main(ControlPanel.java:347)

Fortunately, I did create a new BE in which to attempt the install, so
I'm all set to start fresh. :-)

Thanks in advance! Take care.
--joanie