Re: Close buttons in dialogs

> this not because Ms Windows applications uses it all the time, but because
> there is one rule of interface design saying that it may be possible for us
> to undo any changes we have made. Clearly, most of gnome applications don't
> obey this rule. Why does it happen?

Indeed I seem to recall that (on WIndows) the button text should
change from close to cancel if it becomes possible to undo something.
Some dialogs seem to perform actions when interacting with the
controls that take immediate effect and can't be undone. And should an
Apply button be undo-able by cancel? Ho hum.

Such rules are hard to enforce when they are up to individual
developers' diligence.

Steve Lee