Re: Instantiating Firefox A11y on GNOME

On Jan 20, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Brad Taylor wrote:

Hey Ginn,

I've tested on Ubuntu 8.10, the patch v3 in bmo #460926 works for
Firefox 3.0.5 along with the atk-bridge change.

To make sure atk-bridge was updated correctly, you can download a
nightly build of Firefox trunk or 1.9.1 branch.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-central/
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.1/

Does it work on openSUSE 11.1?

If you export NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 before starting Firefox, do you see
"firefox"  or "Firefox" or nothing in accerciser?

With the builds Hubert prepared of 3.0.5 with only the patch provided in #460926, Firefox doesn't appear in the accessibility hierarchy with and
without NO_AT_BRIDGE=1.

So there's something wrong with the build.
Even with the bug #460926, you should see firefox in a11y hierarchy without NO_AT_BRIDGE=1.

Using the 1.9.1 branch builds you've provided, I get:

+ firefox-bin					application
 + Shiretoko Alpha Start Page - Shiretoko	frame
   - [empty]					redundant object

If I add NO_AT_BRIDGE=1, I get the full hierarchy as expected.

So my question is, are there more patches than just bmo #460926 that
contribute to this working?

No, for firefox, you only need the patch in bmo #460926.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=353657

Additionally, as a distro, are we expected
to ship NO_AT_BRIDGE=1 in the wrapper script to get this to work?

No, you don't need to add it in wrapper.
It's already set in the patch in XRE_main().

I didn't recreate the problem on Ubuntu 8.10.

On OpenSuse, I think the problem might be atk-bridge is loaded earlier than XRE_main().

If you have debug symbols for Firefox and at-spi, you can run firefox with "-g", and set breakpoint in "atk_bridge_init".
backtrace should show where it is called.

Ginn

Best,

-Brad

--------