Mats

Från: Steve Lee <steve fullmeasure co uk>
Till: Willie Walker <William Walker sun com>
Kopia: Gnome Accessibility List <gnome-accessibility-list gnome org>
Datum: 2009-12-10 18:03
Ärende: Re: Proposal: mouse-only Caribou for GNOME 2.30
Sänt av: gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org

2009/12/9 Willie Walker <William Walker sun com>:
> So that leaves GOK users who depend upon switch-based access.  With XEvIE
> having suffered a ill-fated death, poor GOK is being attacked on yet another
> side.  So, I think it may make sense to revisit switch-based access once
> XInput2 is more prevalent.  At that time, we may also investigate other new
> ideas for switch-based access such as Nomon, Jambu, etc.  Until that point,
> we may need to recommend that existing switch-based users remain on GNOME
> 2.28 -- I'm not sure if that's an acceptable thing, however, and will check.

As most switches these days appear as USB HID devices, through the use
of physical interfaces such as the JoyCable, it is possible to get
switch input events using PyGame Joystick support (though you have to
poll). So in Jambu the following is used from the main GTK pump
http://www.oatsoft.org/svn/jambu/trunk/src/lib/jambu/Switch.py

I'm not clear how this compares with the fully integrated X events
approaches that Willie mentions.

My view is the sooner we have a viable switch solution on GNOME the
better in order to be able to attract the users.

Steve Lee