Re: Proposal: mouse-only Caribou for GNOME 2.30

Hi Ben:

I support this.

From the larger GNOME a11y point of view, we have a goal of supplanting AT-SPI/CORBA with AT-SPI/D-Bus. We have about as solid as a plan as one can get in place with minimal funding and minimal resources to do the work. ;-) I wish I had buckets of money, but I don't. :-(

As you infer in your message, the biggest thing at risk in the AT-SPI/D-Bus port is GOK -- GOK is an extensive user of the CSPI bindings for AT-SPI and there are zero resources or volunteers to port CSPI to D-Bus. All of the other CSPI consumers use CSPI minimally and have or are planning to port to D-Bus directly.

So, the upshot is that GOK will most likely end up being incompatible with AT-SPI/D-Bus and we need to address this. I believe the two main categories of users served by GOK are mouse-only users and switch users. As you mention, Caribou coupled with MouseTweaks will serve a large portion of the GOK users, and perhaps in a more efficient way. So, you're totally rocking and heading in a great direction.

So that leaves GOK users who depend upon switch-based access. With XEvIE having suffered a ill-fated death, poor GOK is being attacked on yet another side. So, I think it may make sense to revisit switch-based access once XInput2 is more prevalent. At that time, we may also investigate other new ideas for switch-based access such as Nomon, Jambu, etc. Until that point, we may need to recommend that existing switch-based users remain on GNOME 2.28 -- I'm not sure if that's an acceptable thing, however, and will check.

Will

Ben Konrath wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about shifting the development focus of Caribou from my
initial plan. The next stage of my plan was to start adding switch
access scanning to Caribou which would work towards text entry
functionality for two use cases: mouse-only users and switch-access users.

Looking at other stuff going on in GNOME accessibility community right
now, I think it makes more sense to concentrate on making a rock solid
application for the mouse-only user case in time for GNOME 2.30. This
will allow distros to keep the CORBA base at-spi off for mouse only
users (including dwell click users using MouseTweaks) as well as for the
other use cases covered by programs using pyatspi. This doesn't help
switch only users who will still need to use the CORBA based at-api but
at least it's a step to include more users with the DBus based at-spi.

I know that I missed the official module proposal for GNOME 2.30 so
Caribou will not be officially included but I still think there is value
to concentrating on one user group first. And I can defintely have
something usable for mouse-only users in time for GNOME 2.30.

So what do people think? Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Ben