Re: GNOME Accessibility on by default, and Firefox

Steve Lee wrote:
2008/10/22 Aaron Leventhal <aaronleventhal moonset net>:
There is no need for an "enable
a11y" flag in the OS. Just the fact that something asks us for an accessible
object wakes us up.

We really need lazy instantiation like that under Gnome. If the AT is loaded
and starts asking us for objects, then we can wake up.

Ding! Yes, of course.
The user should NOT have to state they want AT support for
accessibility turned on when the fact that they are using an AT that
want's it is enough. Ditto any desktop features that rely on AT-SPI.

So we just need to get rid of the need to logout/in after turning it
on/off and add a protocol for AT's to request it and for it to  to be
enabled turn when an AT fires up.

Does the D-BUS port give us this capability?
Yes. For current AT-SPI we can't do this without creating new APIs. I think we need to think about putting this feature into DBus porting work.

Li

We can perhaps defines
some system messages for a11y?