Re: MouseTrap tests

Hi Flavio:

Using svnversion 11 (the latest), I put a 'recordmydesktop' session of
me using "screen mode" up at http://master.gnome.org/~wwalker/out-2.ogv

It shows the difficulties I have trying to move the mouse even if I hold
my head very very still (so still that my neck ends up hurting).  What
I'm finding is that the mouse movement is very jumpy and it's very
difficult for me to get the pointer to land where I want it.  In
addition, I also notice that I often have problems trying to get the
mouse to the edges of the screen -- it's like an invisible force field
ends up getting in the way.

I tried using "Hold" mode to see if I could do better, but I got this
stack trace:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mouseTrap/events.py", line 100,
in checkEvents
    event["callback"]( *event["args"], **event["kwds"] )
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mouseTrap/scripts/profiles/holdProfile.py", line 155, in _moveHoldMode
    if abs(v) >= self.settings.getint( "hold_profile",
"reqMovement" ) ] )
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 321, in getint
    return self._get(section, int, option)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 318, in _get
    return conv(self.get(section, option))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ConfigParser.py", line 511, in get
    raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'hold_profile'

Finally, I also tried Drag&Drop mode.  It took a little while to
undertand that the mouse would only move if I kept the point in the
vertical or horizontal channel, but I was able to get a little finer
control over the mouse that way.  It was hard for me, however, to focus
on where I wanted to put the mouse -- I ended needing to keep looking at
the mousetrap window to make sure I didn't move the mouse out of range.

I'm not one of the target users (have you had good success working with
any yet?), so my comments may not be quite accurate.  But, I think if
you can narrow your focus to moving the mouse smoothly and allowing
finer positioning, MouseTrap could be used successfully in conjunction
with other technology such as GOK or MouseTweaks.  I realize smooth
control and finer positioning is still a very difficult task.  :-)

Thanks!

Will