Re: GNOME A11y: where do we need to improve? (Want input by 25-Jan)

Hello,

At 9:43 AM +0000 1/24/08, Steve Lee wrote:
Actually we want to ensure that *all* user a11y needs are covered well
and you've identified a gap. I also see it as a part of a the need to
polish up 'alternative access' provision. The time is ripe for a good
discussion. We did set up the OSK-ng list a while back, but i think it
might be better done here in the view of the wider community.

I just read a bit in the OSK-ng, on the LSR list,... and I find the idea of a modular approach very interesting. But don't expect from end-users to work with scripts; he should rather be present with an architecture similar to plugins.

I could for example imagine the following plug-ins:
- a basic onscreen keyboard plugin
- a dwelling plugin
- a word prediction plugin
- a switch access plugin
- an ui grabbing plugin
- a speech plugin
- ...

The plugins that I listed are obviously for mobility impaired users; I don't know whether AT for visual impaired users could fit in that approach, but if it does, the better.

This would allow users to only install the plugins he needs (of course, each plugin would also install its settings gui) instead of confronting him with a package that offers a lot of fonctionalities that he does not need and that has only the potential to disturb.

Maybe another word concerning osk-ng: the intention is to make it work on multiple platforms. Could you please explain to me the reason for making it cross-platform? Moreover, what platforms do you have in mind?

Francesco