Re: Where does ekiga need to improve?

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 22:44 +0000, JGJones wrote:

> > c. The ability to request applying perceptual visual filters on the
> > video (not only contrast/saturation but colour maps, edge enhancer,
> > hasciicam, cheese) FROM the peer-side (emitter-video-client optimises
> > compression & perception according to the will of the one who receives
> > it);
>
> This is actually a very good point - a small section of deaf people
> suffer from Usher syndrome - this leads to increasingly blindness as
> they age - they find it harder and harder to see thing as their vision
> become more tunnel like. I have a friend who have this - gifted bloke,
> he switched to Ubuntu from OSX because he found Compiz so utterly
> wonderful for his Usher. Works for IBM and if anyone heard about
> signing avatars from IBM, he was invloved there. I'll see if I could
> get him into this list as I know he's very keen on video calls - he
> even use VLC for this!

Just for the record, so everyone knows where I'm coming from,  I also
have Usher Syndrome.  In the United States alone, it is estimated that
10% of Deaf people have Usher Syndrome.   Usher is a genetic condition
that causes deafness at birth and blindness later in life.   So yes, I
am interested in ways that make computer use easier as our vision
continues to deteriorate.

This by the way actually has mainstream applicability because for most
sighted people, even they continue to lose some visual acuity.   I'm
often amazed at how the younger generation seems to thrive on everything
being ultra-tiny, wondering a) how the hell can they see that?? and b)
why do they keep making such things when there's plenty of people who
can't see as well as they do.  Then I look at the older generation
squinting at everything on the monitor and I smile with the knowledge
that them young'uns will get their due medicine someday.  :-)

Bryen