Thoughts on speech

Hi All:

Great IRC meeting yesterday. Thanks everyone for attending and participating. Here's some notes I took regarding speech:

* While it may not be the pristine perfect solution, Speech Dispatcher seems to fit nicely into the overall requirements we need as a larger community.

* Speech Dispatcher appears to have a lot of momentum around it, with groups such as OLPC, Ubuntu, KDE, etc., adopting it.

* There are a number of questions regarding Speech Dispatcher:

  o Is the configuration simple enough and/or can it be made simpler?

  o What engines are supported now?  What drivers are being written?

o Cross platform compatibility. I tried compiling w/o success on Solaris last night. :-(

o What additional work needs to be done to integrate it more tightly with Orca?

These questions/problems seem pretty tractable and we already have a thriving community of capable people working on them. For example, Kenny, David, Tomas, and Luke have been going at it pretty hard (thanks) and we have a number of Orca users beating on the Orca/SpeechDispatcher interface daily. As a result, it's a lot further along than it was even a month ago.

So, I'd like to propose that we consider a different task for funding as part of the GNOME Outreach Program.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Will