Re: Triggering gnome screen-saver timeout from console keypresses?

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way for the X server to know that things are
being typed in the console, since it's the kernel that handles that.
The X server knows when it loses focus however.

Mario Lang, le Wed 13 Aug 2008 18:47:25 +0200, a écrit :
> However, since the braille support for gnome-terminal is still lacking
> a few things

Do you know that you can run a second brltty to handle reading them?
Something like
brltty -b ba -x as

> The X11 screen saver has kicked in every time I switch back to my X11
> console (Alt+F7).

It's not only that, but animated screen savers may also eat CPU...

These screen savers have always been a problem, e.g. while playing a
movie in a webbrowser, etc. :/

>  1.) A hack that I could use to fix this ASAP?

Disable the screen saver :)

>  2.) A way to fix this permanently for everyone else (i.e., something we could
>      implement upstream so that console keypresses are taken into account
>      by default)?

As I said, it doesn't fit the current scheme.  The only relatively easy
thing to do would be to get screen savers disabled when switching off
from the X server.  Some people may not be happy with that either,
however.  I guess we should forward the issue to xorg freedesktop org .

Samuel