Re: What is the proper way of launching Speech Dispatcher?

Hynek Hanke <hanke brailcom org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask if placing a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/
> is the right way to start Speech Dispatcher for gnome session.

I dont want to intrude on a topic that I might be failing to understand,
but wouldn't this kind of defeat one good point about
Speech Dispatcher, namely that it is ment to be used by different
assistive technologies?  I am specifically refering
to those ATs that work with the text console, like BRLTTY, which
can use Speech Dispatcher for its speech output.  But if Speech Dispatcher
gets started only inside a Gnome session, then it
will not be available to ATs before the user logged into gdm.

I know that most people just use GDM these days, but as
a sysadmin I feel I have to explain that this is not really
true for everyone.  I love GNOME, but I only spend about 10% of my
computing time in my X11 session.

So IMHO, the way how it is done today is perfectly fine, Speech
Dispatcher gets started as a daemon on system startup.

If Pulse Audio integration is the actual problem, maybe Speech
Dispatcher needs a kind of bridging app to send audio to soft mixers
in different user contexts?  Or am I missing the point completely?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>