Re: [g-a-devel] [Usability] Mousetweaks usability discussion

At 10:39 AM +0000 11/2/07, Steve Lee wrote:
Here's a suggested feature from Simon over at www.oatsoft.org (he
asked me to post them as I'm on the list).

"One thing that would also be interesting to add would be a tremor-zoom...
if you click somewhere, it magnifies that (say 20*20) area of the screen and
then you can click again on the magnified image.... This means that people
with a tremor/reduced clicking accuracy can click on 'small' objects without
needing a good 'click-resolution'...  This has been used, for example, with
eye-gaze, but I think might be generally useful."

Thanks for the suggestion.

The feature currently provided by mousetweaks to not consider little pointer movement is far from being a real tremor reduction feature; in fact, it only works during dwelling.

To implement a tremor-zoom feature that deserves its name, we would probably have to implement a real tremor reduction feature (that we currently not know how to implement) and the zooming feature.

The idea of the tremor-zoom itself is interesting and might be a candidate to consider for addition to the ToDo list, behind the single click feature already suggested by somebody in the Accessibility Ubuntu forum. On the other hand, as GNOME already offers zooming, the question arises whether it could not be simpler to add it there.

For the moment, the priority of Gerd and me is to get mousetweaks with its current features into GNOME.

However, if somebody is going to provide a patch to add a working tremor-zoom function to mousetweaks, we will be glad to accept it.

Francesco