ubuntu amd story: what a difference a version upgrade makes

A friend had installed ubuntu 6.04 on my amd-64 machine and though gnopernicus was run, it wouldn't work a voice couldn't be selected even though the sound card otherwise worked. An upgrade to 6.10 done online last night and a machine reboot and login however got gnopernicus working on that amd machine with no adjustments to the machine other than accessibility preferences and gnopernicus settings itself once gnopernicus was run. Apparently necessary fixes had their effects. Gnome terminal can't be used with gnopernicus and have it talking but the g.u.i. environment does talk. We used update-manager -c in terminal mode last night but I'll probably use aptitude or synaptic to keep the system updated in the future.