Re: accessible routers

On Sunday 28 January 2007 19:02, Cody Hurst wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for accessible routers.
> like dsl routers. When I say accessible I mean that the configuration
> web interface is easily configurable and doesn't keep refreshing and it
> is not too graphical.

if you want a real linux router with ssh, have a look at http://openwrt.org .
possible hardware, for example, is the linksys wrt54gl (the last "l" ist for
linux). a supported hardwarelist on
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware
or you flash it with  the freifunk-firmware (based on openwrt). there is a gui
and ssh. freifunk do not provide wep or wpa, but a lot of other features.
like meshing. have a look at freifunk.net or olsrexperiment.de (german).
there are also english, french, spanish... versions of freifunk-firmware.
http://212.222.128.68/sven-ola/ipkg/
(the site is sometimes down and slow)
In Berlin we have some hundreds of freifunkrouters in a mesh network. the
freifunk firmware is realy nice and provides also pppoecd, ssh, dhcp,
firewall etc.

i hope  this helps,

yky