FW: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Whoops!  Sorry Gilles

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Pascoe [mailto:ianpascoe btinternet com]
Sent: 22 December 2007 13:02
To: Gilles Casse
Subject: RE: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Hi all

I use the Trakker a lot, and like it very much indeed.

A couple of comments on the thread relating to this subject.

Firstly, an in built GPS receiver is, IMO, not a good idea.  Experience
shows that in certain areas and at certain times of the day, the reciever
placed in various places around the body picks up GPS signals much better
than others - I have been known to have it tucked under my hat on top of my
head on occasion as that was the only place I could get a signal"!

Next, again from experience, a dedicated keyboard for such an item is miles
better than either trying to use a QWERTY keyboard, or utilise existing keys
on a device.  I have Talks on my Nokia 6600 mobile, and I have, on a number
of times, done some inadvertant key presses and required the assistance of a
sighted person to re-instigate the Talks functionality.

Lastly, and the one thing that Trakker does excel in, is it's ability to
accurately place you within the limits of the GPS limitations -/+ 10m.

My one very big disappointment with this device, and I think it's inherent
with all such navigation systems, is the amount of delay between changes to
the road infrastructure and when the updated maps become available.  The
other problem with Trakker prior to release 3 was that not all maps for a
particular area could be stored on the SD card.  For the UK, it required 10
seperate maps prior to v3, and now is down to 4 on a 1 Gb card.

Don't forget that if you can get the difinition suitable for a pedestrian
you have also instantly got a FOS car navigation system too, which won't
have people trying to drive along railways or rivers!

Other items used to aid in my day to day along the same lines, are the
Parrott, a dedicated PIM system; a digital recorder for voice note  and
speech taking, the Nokia mobile mentioned above, and an add on to my
satelite TV system that talks through the  program selection.

Now if the FOS mobile arena can be clever enough to either tie all of this
effectively into one module, excluding the TV add on, or have it so that the
individual modules will link and talk together - none of the above items do,
you will have yourself one absolutely  fantastic superb, and other
supervaltives, system, that with a support service (very important) would
have people like myself biting your hands off for it.  Current UK price for
new of all of the above is about ?1100 excluding support and TV add on.

Ian