Re: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Steve Lee wrote:
3) Brainstorming / developing improvements that push the envelope in
the user experience. It's great to have a set of familiar assistive
technologies for people to use today when migrating to GNOME from
other platforms. But a benefit of developing on an open stack with an
excellent (the best?) accessibility infrastructure is that it affords
us the opportunity to create alternative, better, more usable, (pick
an adjective) software to help users. Dasher is a perfect example:
born out of research and later packaged with GNOME releases as a new
"flavor" of on-screen keyboard.

Absolutely! FOSS offers the possibility of innovation
This is one of the notions that gets me to work in the morning :) My director here at the ATRC is a better word smith than I am so I ask anyone who is interested in a newspaper article titled "Inclusion promotes innovation" to follow this link: http://www.thestar.com/printArticle/255521

Choice quote: "we have succumbed to the tyranny of the popular, the typical, the average, or the norm"... but let's not! We should be able to go so much farther and faster in FOSS land...

OK having some big sponsors would help. Any board members listening... can we maybe create a directed giving program for accessibility (like MoFo recently did)?

cheers,
David