RE: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

All

I agree with Willie's road map for the initial touch point, but would
suggest, well actually insist, that the page is in plain English, without
technical terms or jargon used.  From here you can move to the additional
areas of, for instance, developers, advanced users, testers, standard users,
newbies and whatever else we think is necessary.

I really believe that this approach to a single "un-scary" touch point is
needed.  Take the following scenario for a blind user who is using a helper
to read the contents of the screen.  Although the AT SPI stuff is important
it's not necessary to know about it from the initial step, but what they do
want to know about is how to get it, how to use it, and what it does.

Which leads me onto my second point, that of integration of the content
between the Gnome weiki and distro weikis.

As Luke mentioned in an earlier post, Ubuntu is only the distro of choice
for accessability by virtue that it has it built into the Live CD and is
therefore the distro used for a  large proportion of the user community.  So
by virtue of this, should the Gnome weiki advocate Ubuntu as one of the
leading distros, or should we leave the potential user with the ability to
make an ill informed choice?  No.  Perhaps what we should do is once we have
an idea of what content we want to provide, we should approach the distros
so that links from the Gnome site will go to, for instance, the Ubuntu weiki
and how to install Ubuntu with accessability turned on.  This would also
ensure that the removal of out of date or content pages that says do A for
this distro but B for that would be avoided etc.

For the committee itself, I think that through natural selection people will
migrate to those areas that they feel most comfortable in and those in which
they can achieve.  Perhaps three groups - the actual steering committee,
supported by two loosely coupled groups one for dealing with the users
experience and one for developers, but of course one person would not be
restricted to one area as cross fertilization of ideas and concepts is what
it is all about.

I have other not quite formed ideas yet about such things as the committee
forming a centrral point through which developers can get / find information
and also act to re-inforce the FOS community approach and join up with
comparable groups both inside the FOS community and other outside bodies.
However, I don't really feel that comfortable with either of these thought
processes just yet, but only mention to throw into the group melting pot.

Communication for my own preference is either by phone or mailling list, but
being a UK resident I am a tad out of line with the American time zones!

I'd like to see movement made to a compelling accessability experience with
those apps that are minimally required for a user to access their computer
successfully - an area that needs some focus would be audio apps.  A
secondary level would be to ensure that the apps that use the GALE
(apologies if wrong terminology) interface but only partially implemented,
and lastly to ensure that other widgets used by standard Gnome apps have the
ability to be interogated by AT SPI, or whatever interface and provide
correct useful information.

What are people's thoughts about extending our eventual remit to encompass
those apps which uses the GTK but are not within the Gnome desktop as such?

My apologies if this seems a little jumbled and mismatched, with Xmas
looming so near, things are frantic here!

Seasons Greetings

Ian