Multichannel audio not consistent between sound cards?

Hi all,

I am working with two machines running Edgy. One is a 4 year old desktop with an antique sound blaster live, probably dating back to the late 90s. the other is a 1 year old IBM ThinkPad T43 with SoundMax integrated audio. I have ESD enabled on both systems. I'm finding that when I attempt to play avi or mp3 files, on the pC with the sound blaster live, everything works fine; However on the laptop, I consistently lose DECtalk or Festival when the audio stream is playing. The result is that I can no longer utilize the screen reader, and lose access altogether unless I'm able to alt-f4 out of, or otherwise stop the media player. i've had this experience with mp3 as well as avi files, using both Rhythmbox and Totem Movie player.

I  guess I have several questions:
1. Aside from playing with ESD, is there anything I can do to resolve the issue? 2. Do all Alsa and/or OSS drivers need to meet some sort of minimum spec before their inclusion into distributions? If this is a situation where the two drivers aren't created equal, then I wonder if for purposes of accessibility, a revision of this spec should be discussed?

Thanks,

--Al