Re: Fwd: [henrik ubuntu com: Re: still can't boot edgy!!!]

Cheryl Homiak wrote:
Well, that's no help!!! If the splash is my problem, and i don't know for sure about that, I simply can't use the cd s I don't have sighted assistance. I hope you aren't planning on leaving the cd this way; I do realize this is still under development and I don't mean to be rude, but accessibility means nothing if I can't get the cd to boot.

Yes, let's try not to be rude :)

I understand that perfectly well. In fact I understand it better than most. And it is in part because of that understanding that we at Ubuntu are making an attempt at providing an independent live CD and install experience for a wide range of users when other major Linux distributions are not (the Solaris/Sun folks are doing a great job though!). Seriously, your point is completely valid, but you are preaching to the converted on this list I think.

As to the issue at hand, the reason the splash phase and/or the X display fails in this case is likely to be related to hardware issues, so it will only affect certain people, and does not pop up when I test it for example.

The recommended thing to do in that case is to file a bug here: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu and provide detailed information about the problem and your hardware.

We will continue to provide as many alternative routes to booting and install as we can, such as making the alternate installer accessible and providing spoken error messages during boot. But it will all take some. More help from other distros would help of course ...

Henrik