gnopernicus problem in ubuntu dapper

I think I deleted my speech driver when taking my laptop out of sleep mode
when trying to switch off my laptop so I have had to re-install Ubuntu
Dapper because when dad logged in it seemed Gnopernicus was running but I
was getting no speech.
However when dad went through the Install, we must have chosen the wrong
options as it didn't seem to install the speech drivers so when dad went
under preferences and accessability in Gnome, speech was unavailable.
I think somehow I had to get him to choose accessability when we start the
install but I don't know how to choose the options to get the speech driver
installed for Gnopernicus.
I have written to this list once and also to the Ubuntu mailing list but
nobody got back to me on it.
I have taken the following information from the page giving information
about the Dapper Beta if it helps any.
I don't think my dad has the patience to help me install the speech which
means he can only get Ubuntu working without the speech which is no good for
me.
He works with computers all day during the week as he produces bills for BT
so can't always be bothered with them and I don't have a partner or any
other family member who knows about Linux.
If choosing the accessability ran a spoken installation it would help
because I could have it done indipendently. I am even thinking of getting my
Scope worker who takes me out to have a look at it.
This person I know worked for Vessel which is a project within Scope which
used to get me out until it wound up through lack of funding but she still
takes me out on a friendship basis. Problem is I don't know if it is going
to be any easier for her to help me. It wasn't easy for me to give
directions to my dad for re-installing Ubuntu and getting it to set the
accessability so I could loggin, go into preferences and set the speech so
it would come up when I logged in as he seemed to ignore what I was trying
to suggest when I told him he needed to choose accessability when he ran
install. I know I have to tell a Sighted person I need to choose the
accessability options using some of the function keys and arrow keys but
couldn't tell him exactly how.
Only thing I can think of apart from asking this University student who
takes me out to look at it and try and guide her as best I can is to ask the
chap at my Linux User Group to re-install it for me. It is so frustrating
that because the laptop wasn't shut down properly, he may have to go through
the whole process again with me, choosing the accessability options at the
start of install, erasing entire disk or whatever Ubuntu does which takes
ages to do and then having to reset the preferences when we have completed
it again, erasing the entire disk and installing everything that comes as
default takes ages.
I am sure that if it had a spoken install, ran Gnopernicus when I first
booted up so I could set the speech preferences under Gnome's accessability
so speech started up I could have it done but at the moment as far as I know
it is still not that simple unless of course I could get Dapper working in
its live CD mode as the Beta disk the LUG chap burned for me is the Live CD,
get speech running with just a few keystrokes and then somehow turn it into
a full installation so I knew it would be working.
The only information on accessability I have is pasted below.
New Installation Menu
When you first boot from the installation CD you are greeted with a friendly
shiny
new installation menu that provides you with a very simple means of choosing
how
to start installing Ubuntu. This new installation menu is powered by a very
flexible
tool called gfxboot. This new gfxboot powered installation menu allows
Ubuntu to
now provide, among other things, accessibility features right from the start
which
allows anyone to perform an installation of Ubuntu 6.06.
Screenshot 1: New Installation Menu
gfxboot-small.png
Screenshot 2: New Installation Menu Accessibility Options
gfxboot-a-small.png
Simply using the UP and DOWN arrow keys allows you to select the type of
installation
you would like to perform. Use the Function (F1-6) keys to select additional
options.