Re: Java-access-bridge

Hi:

When you want to build gnome-speech to get the freetts synthesis driver, you may need to specify:

--with-java-home=PATH - path to the top level directory for java (from your JDK install)

--with-jab-dir=PATH - path to the directory containing gnome-java-bridge.jar (from java-access-bridge)

--with-freetts-dir=PATH - path to the directory containing freetts.jar (from FreeTTS)

The resulting /usr/bin/freetts-synthesis-driver will look for the components based upon this configuration. In addition, it will look for the java binary using the following logic (cut/pasted from the freetts-synthesis-driver script):

# Find Java.  This first checks to see if the user has JAVA_HOME
# set and uses that if possible.  It then checks for the JAVA
# that was used as part of the ./configure and build and uses
# that if possible.  Finally, it falls back onto whatever the
# system has in place.  Arguably, one might want to use what
# is on the system, but some systems ship Java platform
# implementations that do not work (e.g., gcj on RedHat), so
# they're better off tried last.

Hope this helps, and I hope my "intelligent" mail application didn't obfuscate this message in its attempt to help me out,

Will

PS - for any "configure," you should be able to run "./configure --help" to get a list of options. In many cases, the documentation might as well have been written in Martian, but it sometimes helps.

Aditya Kumar Pandey wrote:

I work on Fedora Core 4 personally and have compiled java-access-bridge before.

Assuming that you installed jdk1.5.0_02, you would have to do the following
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.5.0_02/
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

If you intend to compile java-access-bridge for making freetts, then
you might also have to play around with CLASSPATH and add all the jar
files like freetts.jar, jsapi.jar, freetts-synthesis-driver.jar, and
directories for JAVA_HOME/lib, JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext.

Aditya