Re: GDM accessibility sans AT-SPI

David:

In terms of GDM login usage, I'm not sure how well dasher would work.
I haven't heard of anybody trying it.  I'm guessing dasher would
probably need some work to make it work well.  As the GDM maintainer,
I'd be happy to work with people to help get this working if there
is any interest.

I do know that GOK works okay in login mode, although with the
annoyance that you have to set up a writable $HOME directory for
the "gdm" user (see GOK bug 383514).

I recently have worked with the Orca maintainer, and we discovered
some bugs getting it working with GDM, but the Orca maintainer has
recently fixed this so the next release of Orca should work fine.
I understand Gnopernicus works from the login screen okay.

It would be nice if the GOK/Orca commands needed at login time were
added into the GDM configuration so that working commands would be
ready-to-use if the user enables a11y in GDM.

Brian

GOK has a dwell access method, where "access method" is an expression for a "way of navigating and activating keys on the on-screen keyboard". Since the assumption is that GOK users are using a non-core pointing device, off-keyboard mouse clicks are current done by driving the core mouse pointer around the desktop via specialized gok keyboard keys. I think it would be a valuable addition to add a good Dwell core-pointer user mode to GOK sometime in the future. Note Dwell users might, as you say want to use a utility like KMouseTool + Dasher. I wish we could be informed more by our users in this regard.

cheers,
David
Text to speech would probably be hard to get working with gdmlogin,
gdmgreeter, gdmsetup, gdmchooser and all pop-up dialogs.  While it might
be possible to do something that would work okay without AT-SPI, the
danger is that users might end up in a situation where they don't know
what is going on with the GUI.  The advantage of AT-SPI is that it
works better for following the focus and context of what the user is
doing.
I agree that an AT-SPI solution is probably the best if you want to navigate all the menus of GDM and have read out exactly what they contain. I'm just pointing out that adding the spoken line "Welcome to <distro>. Please enter your user name." would be relatively simple to implement (though the login sound almost serves the same purpose).

Henrik