Re: few questions

Hi All,

I teach at the RNIB New College Worcester, England -
I'm Head of ICT and have been in-situ for about a
month now.  We're burdened with a legacy Windows
system which is causing many problems - but of course
I can't change that over night...

Anyway, I see a lot of students who have a range of
Visual Impairments.  Here are a few examples...

* blind since birth kids who seem to have been born
with an understanding of the complexities of Windows
and who cannot begin to understand the command line,
* partially sighted kids who enjoy the fact that I've
given them a Linux box to shell into
* partially sighted kids who struggle because we can't
get MS Windows to enlarge the fonts evenly

What my kids need is a wide-range of options - some of
which might be deemed as 'configuration', some of them
might to be classed as full 'accessibility'.  They
need to be able to set:
 - default font sizes for all menus and documents
 - high contrast colour schemes that work
 - lower resolution but crisp displays

as for screen readers, they need fine level control
over how the reader behaves and where it is reading -
though to be honest I hope that most kids who rely
purely on using screen readers will see the sense of
the command line...

Of course, all this is IMHO.  I hope to be able to get
some of my students involved in these lists over the
next couple of years - as I secretly convert them to
the joys of Linux :-)

rgds,
Richard Rothwell
If you are receiving this at your Hotmail account, please keep in mind that you might not be able to receive it after November, when Microsoft implements YABIS (Yet Another Broken Incompatable Standard).

You may want to switch to a GMail Account or a Yahoo Account if you want to continue receiving emails from non-Microsoft accounts.