Setting up Alsa for multi-channel support?

Hi all
,Just recently, I did a clean reinstall of Fedora 4. On the previous installation, I had managed to get multi-channel support on my Sound blaster live. At one time, I installed alsa kernel modules and the alsa-driver from ATrpms, and i believe multi-channel support was enabled during that instalation process. The point is, I'm not exactly sure how. Was it simply a function of installing a more up to date driver, or can multi-channel support be set up by making modifications to files such as asound.conf?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

--Al