Re: theHoary Live CD Array 4 & Gnpernicus

Hi Ian:

You asked:
Is there a module within Gnpernicus which will provide inversion of screen colours - ie white on a black background - or can anyone recommend compatible accessability software to do this?

Gnopernicus can do this via the gnome-mag interface - in order to change this, you'll need to go into 'magnifier preferences' in the gnopernicus gui, choose the "default" zoomer and select "Add/Edit zoomer". From there, you will see a checkbox marked 'invert', if you select this the screen colors will be inverted in the magnified area.

You can do this with fullscreen magnification as well, but this is more complex. See Appendix A of the GNOME 2.10 Accessibility Guide, available at http://gnome.org/learn/access-guide/2.10/

However, most users who want white-on-black text prefer to use the 'HighContrast Inverse' GNOME theme instead. If Ubuntu is bundling the latest accessibility patches from Sun, then even most Mozilla content pages will display with white-on-black text using this theme.

To select a different GNOME theme, go to the 'foot' menu (not sure what Hoary calls this menu) on the panel (Ctrl-Esc), choose 'Preferences'->'Desktop Preferences'->'Theme'. (The exact menu structure may depend on your distribution, I don't know if the Ubuntu menus have been modified). From the 'Theme Preferences' dialog, choose 'High Contrast Inverse'. If you want larger print and icons, you can choose 'details' from this dialog, select the HighContrastLargePrint 'Controls' theme, 'Bright' or 'Atlanta' window border theme, and the HighContratLargePrintInverse icon set. You can further adjust your font sizes from the 'Preferences'->'Desktop Preferences'->'Font' dialog.

 I also seem to
remember that a past posting said that to use Gnpernicus with Open Office a Java interface had to be installed as well; can anyone point me in the right direction for this too?

I believe there is documentation in the GNOME 2.10 Accessibility Guide.

For Information

When running the CD as a boot up everything loaded fine - no error messages etc - but when the accessability was activated the following was experienced:

- screen magnification would only go to 2x and once there could not be reverted to normal size

I don't know anything about this, and have not seen this problem before. Perhaps someone from Ubuntu can help?

- with festival activated the only speech output were clicks and whistles as the mouse was moved

Try turning off the 'sounds for events' in Desktop Preferences->Sound.
It's possible that festival itself isn't set up properly, I am not sure. See the recent email from Zsolnai Laszlo about running 'test-speech' to help diagnose problems.

Hope that helps

Bill

This was experienced on 2 different machines prior to loading onto a dedicated machine and run from there.

Cheers

Ian