Problems starting gnoperniucs

Ok, I had somehow gotten lost but when I went back the combo box made more sense and I found the ok button.
Still two questions:

1. Logging in as gdm: is this what I'm supposed to do and do I need to create a password? If gdm is using it, I must not need to create the user?

2. despite all my efforts, I still get "braille device can not be initialized." i really need the braille as I'm not going to be able to run a bunch of speech when my daughter is listening to music. Any ideas?
Thanks.

--
Cheryl