Re: Problems starting gnoperniucs

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 22:23, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

Hi,

> 2. despite all my efforts, I still get "braille device can not be
> initialized." i really need the braille as I'm not going to be able to run
> a bunch of speech when my daughter is listening to music. Any ideas?
> Thanks.

What braille device do you have? Are you using it via brltty?

If you are using it directly (the device is selected from Preferences/Braille/Braille Device/Device combo-box) then you _must_ have read/write rights for the port where braille device is connected. The port can be set from Preferences/Braille/Braille Device/Port spin-button.

If you are using it via brltty, start it before gnopernicus (it works for me running "brltty" as root). Also seems to be important where brlapi.key file is. I have brltty in /usr and brlapi.key in /usr/etc and read right for all users for it.

Let me know about your status/issues.

Regards,
Remus