RE:for educational purposes...

Dave,

	Your post is confusing as it mixes several different ideas.
Since it is somewhat unclear it fails to educate (if that was indeed
your intent).

	I've tried to pull out the relevant points:
	Point #1. "it's important to be able to use Braille alone, i.e.
without concurrent speech, because my sound card is preoccupied doing
something else."

	Response to #1: I agree and this seems technically feasible, so
why not do it?

	Point #2. "My whole point is that we shouldn't limit the design
of accessibility software
		a. just because we can comfortably assume that all of
its potential users have access to enough hardware and/or money, to
ideal work environments, etc." to the referenced "able to direct speech
to one card while playing your radio with the other.  Can this be done?"

	Response to #2: I don't think we have enough context to say your
author was limiting anything. As this is somewhat a technical list, what
is "enough hardware" (#2a)? Not trying to argue, but is there a baseline
requirements document for the specific technology you are referring to?
(Braille interface, gnome-api, etc.) Why should you limit my
<emphasis>ability</emphasis> to use both soundcards I have in my machine
just because most people only have one? Again, not to argue but debate;
When the user asked "Can this be done" was it a yes, but you should
consider most users won't want that, so design for both situations? I
encourage you to document, reference specifications or use-cases that
enforce what seems to be your goal of not having to have the
latest-greatest or excessive hardware. I'm with you on that - it gets
expensive no matter how much money one has!

	I hope this message was helpful, as I sincerely didn't
understand it until I read it twice. Maybe you can help and my two cents
helps you as well.

	Regards,

	Norman Robinson