FW: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

Dave

I have been a silent member of this list for a short while, but already
use a Microsoft based application.

In my experience for a visually impaired person, which I am, working in
a noisy office environment answering client calls the ability of the
sound card / external synth to produce a trackable voice trail of what
is going on is more important from the employers viewpoint as it enables
that person to remain a fully functional member of the team.

I am not too technically minded but I presume that most sound cards are
multi-channel so that it would be possible to have an option that whilst
speech is being produced the other channels are either muted or have
their sound reduced and then restored.

I use this combined screen reader / screen magnification / colour
inversion software at home too and in this scenario it is just as easy
to temporarily disable it whilst listening specifically to music or
watching video and then re-enabling afterwards.  In cases where the
software has to remain enabled and working whilst listening to music for
example, you find it very easy to "tune in and out" of the speech.

I admit that this is only one area of accessability but speech
enablement should be available at all times but not nec necessarily
functioning.

Ian Pascoe