Re: FW: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

[quoted lines by ian pascoe bt com on 2005/03/07 at 10:08 -0000]

>In cases where the
>software has to remain enabled and working whilst listening to music for
>example, you find it very easy to "tune in and out" of the speech.

I agree, but that's assuming that the user is the only person listening to the
music. I don't usually use mailing lists to reveal much in the way of personal
information, but, in this case, I shall in order to illustrate that we can
often make all-too-sweeping assumptions about the situations and requirements
of others, and about the expectations that we dare to make of them. We (my
whole family) listen to a non-local radio station almost all of the time. We
can receive it either via shortwave (which is what we used to do) or via the
internet (which is what we now do since the quality is so much better and since
we don't have to retune the receiver every few hours). The player is running in
one of my computers (which happens to also be the one my braille display is
connected to), which, in turn, feeds speakers all over our house. My wife and
the nine (of thirteen) of our children who are still living with us, especially
if listening elsewhere in our house, would rightly find all of those short
bursts of speech, accompanied by temporarily disappearing radio programming, to
be rather disruptive. This applies even more, of course, when visitors are
over.

>I admit that this is only one area of accessability but speech
>enablement should be available at all times but not nec necessarily
>functioning.

Of course it should. I never meant to imply that it shouldn't. My personal
position, just to make it absolutely clear, is that each individual
accessibility method should enable as much independence as possible on its own,
that all possible combinations of the various methods should be supported such
that they can function concurrently, and that no combination of these methods
should introduce confusion due to concurrent use.

EMail: dave mielke cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.