Re: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

[quoted lines by Bill Haneman on 2005/03/04 at 13:45 +0000]

>gnopernicus already speaks the name of the 'inaccessible' application as you
>cycle through toplevel windows with "Alt-TAB".

This, for many, isn't a solution. A deaf person, for example, needs to know
this information as well. In addition, there are many for whom using speech
concurrent with braille just isn't an option. Some people don't have eitehr a
sound card or an external synthesizer. Others do have a sound card, but it's
already being used for something else (like listening to music). Others have a
sound card which could be used, but who still must maintain a silent
environment because it's night time, because it'd bother their colleagues
and/or customers, etc. Others work within noisy environments and couldn't
possibly adequately hear speech output. Others may become needlessly confused
when having to process more than one audio source at the same time, i.e. window
navigation data from the computer and a customer's questions on the phone.

To summarize: I think it's a mistake to design Gnopernicus such that speech
output is a necessity.

EMail: dave mielke cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.