First Steps

Hi List

I am a visually impaired person currently working on a Windows based PC and
have been looking at getting a Linux distro on and working as a dual boot
system.

So far I have shied away from this as members of the LUG I belong to have
had bad experiences using Live CDs when truying to set up a dual boot system
- ie the distro attempts to either overwrite or remove Windows which is
unacceptable; and they find that the custom install process gets too
technical for them to easily deal with.

I have thought about using the Ubunto (apologies for spelling) with Gnome
accessability on it but this is one of the Live Distros that the LUG have
had problems with.

Can anyone recommend a suitable distro that comes with all the basic
accessability that is not harmfull to existing Windoes installations?  I
have received good reports about the Ubunto main stream distro on Linux only
machines and would like this but am quite wary as mentioned above.

I use Windoes XP Home SP 2 and have a 20Gb un-formatted partition available
for the distro to load into.  Accessability wise I definately need screen
enhancements ie colour inversion and full screen magnification, and speech
interface but interfaces with braille displays are not needed at the moment.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance

Ian