Re: First Steps

Hi Ian

Welcome to the list! Firstly I hope that someone on the list can provide you with enough specific information to enable you to install Linux+GNOME without any hitches. Personally I don't track the Ubuntu distro mailing lists, so I don't know what specific issues people may have had with the install process there.

If you are still not confident after the replies you get, I hope that you will consider finding a Linux-savvy sighted person to assist, as a fall-back. In a better world all of these things should be installable by all users, but as you point out the cost of a glitch in an OS install situation can be high. If things go well, hopefully the reliability and safety of the install can be improved for everyone based on your experience. I am pretty sure that there is enough interest in VI-installable Ubuntu that if folks pool their expertise and approach the Ubuntu community, this issue could be solved for future releases. I expect that what it would take is better communication between the Ubuntu distro team and some kind of organized testing of installation accessibility, possibly the test team could be volunteers; maybe someone else could donate a couple of machines for that purpose so that testers didn't have to live in fear of trashing their primary system.

Are there other folks on this list who are interested in working with Ubuntu to test this and other aspects of Ubuntu accessibility?

best regards and good luck,

Bill

Ian Pascoe wrote:

Hi List

I am a visually impaired person currently working on a Windows based PC and
have been looking at getting a Linux distro on and working as a dual boot
system.

So far I have shied away from this as members of the LUG I belong to have
had bad experiences using Live CDs when truying to set up a dual boot system
- ie the distro attempts to either overwrite or remove Windows which is
unacceptable; and they find that the custom install process gets too
technical for them to easily deal with.

I have thought about using the Ubunto (apologies for spelling) with Gnome
accessability on it but this is one of the Live Distros that the LUG have
had problems with.

Can anyone recommend a suitable distro that comes with all the basic
accessability that is not harmfull to existing Windoes installations?  I
have received good reports about the Ubunto main stream distro on Linux only
machines and would like this but am quite wary as mentioned above.

I use Windoes XP Home SP 2 and have a 20Gb un-formatted partition available
for the distro to load into.  Accessability wise I definately need screen
enhancements ie colour inversion and full screen magnification, and speech
interface but interfaces with braille displays are not needed at the moment.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance

Ian