Re: Bad Input to Hardware TTS

Hi:

Beth CC'd the list one side of a number of private correspondances which we had. I won't copy them here, except to say that I am quite sensitive to the seriousness of losing access to the TTS.

There does seem to be some misunderstanding of the technical issues behind this problem, however. If we had nice plug-and-play capabilities for all these devices, and they all participated in a standard interface which we could use to identify them, then we could avoid sending inappropriate data to a device. Unfortunately things aren't so simple at the moment.

However, this isn't the case for all current output devices. The USB protocol offers a little help for devices that implement USB properly, but USB actually makes things worse for old-style serial devices that connect via a USB converter. Such devices usually don't identify themselves via the usual USB mechanism, and because of limitations of "hot-swapping" of USB devices, the associated serial ports can actually get renumbered on reboot. The linux kernel folks are working on fixing this, but it means that even if things are 'properly' configured to use the right serial ports, there is a possibility that the output could be directed inappropriately after a reboot.

For specific cases like the DECTalk case, I would be optimistic that we can determine a 'probe' sequence which we can use to prevent this serious problem from happening in the future, possibly by detecting the presence of a DECTalk, or at least failing to send serial output to a braille device without attempting to confirm that the expected braille device is responding as expected. (This may be possible only for certain braille devices). But there is no simple way to prevent any other such situation from arising again - for instance if a serial port gets renumbered, or even if a user plugs a TTS into a different USB port by accident. Unfortunately we can't foresee all the possible failure scenarios involving all possible devices, some will have to happen at least once before we can fix them.

- Bill