Re: Gnopernicus Sending Output to Serial Device Crashes Hardware Synthesizer

Hi,

> I'm unconvinced of the importance of having Gnopernicus talk to Braille devices by default - at least to talk to Braille devices *directly* by default (vs.
> via BrlAPI).

Yes, I think that you are right about that. The best way to communicate with a braille device that may be present is brltty in the beginning. If the user feels a need to change the braille device, he can do so when there is braille and speech.

But, isn't it a good idea to popup with a question when gnopernicus is launched for the first time, something like: "Would you like to enable braille support via brltty?". There is the chance that a user doesn't want speech and that there is no speech synth present at that moment, so maybe we can put some wave file behind that message with the question in spoken word and something like: "press y for yes or n for no". Maybe is this way of enabling things also a good approach for speech and the magnifier?

Just a thought,

Bram