Re: Gnopernicus Sending Output to Serial Device Crashes Hardware Synthesizer

[quoted lines by Bill Haneman on 2005/02/14 at 18:03 +0000]

>The most serious issue seems to be that the DECTalk Express can be
>gotten in to a persisting bad state (i.e. one that doesn't respond to
>mere power-cycling) with a certain serial stream.  Since it is not
>reasonable to expect one device driver (e.g. braille) to understand the
>behavior of an unrelated device (e.g. synth), I don't see a general
>solution to this problem.  If a device is capable of getting put into a
>bad state via serial input, there is no way to guarantee that no other
>driver will ever emit that input 'coincidentally', even as part of an
>exploratory device 'probe'.

It may be premature to be making this assumption. It may just be that whatever
driver was being used to talk to the DECTalk isn't doing enough of what should
be done at startup.

EMail: dave mielke cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.