Re: Gnopernicus Sending Output to Serial Device Crashes Hardware Synthesizer

Peter Korn wrote:

Hi Bill,

I'm unconvinced of the importance of having Gnopernicus talk to Braille devices by default - at least to talk to Braille devices *directly* by default (vs. via BrlAPI).

I agree that using brlapi for this makes the most sense, as the autosensing/probing support can be offloaded to a package which specializes in braille hardware support.

However I believe that gnopernicus already does some auto-sensing of braille displays. If not, then I think that the default configuration should be changed so as not to send braille to ttys0 without having been explicitly configured to do so.

The most serious issue seems to be that the DECTalk Express can be gotten in to a persisting bad state (i.e. one that doesn't respond to mere power-cycling) with a certain serial stream. Since it is not reasonable to expect one device driver (e.g. braille) to understand the behavior of an unrelated device (e.g. synth), I don't see a general solution to this problem. If a device is capable of getting put into a bad state via serial input, there is no way to guarantee that no other driver will ever emit that input 'coincidentally', even as part of an exploratory device 'probe'.

- Bill