Re: Gnopernicus and ISO-Latin2 characters

Hi,

remus draica, le Fri 26 Aug 2005 10:48:30 +0300, a écrit :
> Bill, for me one thing is still unclear. Is possible to have more than
> one graphical representation for a character (same code as number)
> depending on the character set?

It doesn't depend on the character set, it only depends on the language
of the text and the country of the reader.

> My impression was (and still is) that all characters are represented
> from 0 to a huge number and some parts of the interval represents
> characters sets.

Character sets are not mapped as such in unicode, actually maybe just
latin1 is. For instance, 'é' can be found in several character sets, but
in unicode, it only exists in the latin1 mapping.

> you said "different Latin characters"? What that means?

There are currently 9 latin character sets: latin1 through latin9. Each
of them have 0-127 like ascii, but 128-255 are (more or less) different.
They are also known as iso-8859-x

> Same character in different languages? For example "a" in english
> and german?  Or same character with a different sense depending on
> something else (a "code page"?)?

Billy was speaking about new characters coming from the character set:
latin2 has characters that latin1 doesn't have (see man latin2). Since
gnopernicus only has table positions for 0-255 (latin1 map in unicode),
it doesn't have table positions for latin2-specific characters.

Regards,
Samuel